Near Cardigan, Cilgerran Castle is a small triangular shaped castle perched on a high promontory above the River Teifi. Thought to have been built by the son of the Earl of Pembroke around 1223 after capturing the existing fortified structure from the Welsh people. In the private ownership of the Hastings family until 1389, the castle passed to the crown following the death of the last member of that family. It then passed into the care of the Vaughan family but is now managed by CADW, the Welsh historic buildings agency. Much of the original castle remains intact and is well worth a visit.