Home / Frequently Asked Questions About The South West Coast Path / How hard is it to walk the South West Coast Path?

How hard is it to walk the South West Coast Path?

1 min read     3 February 2022

The South West Coast Path welcomes thousands of walkers each year of all abilities.  Some come for a few days, whilst others walk the entire 630 miles in one visit.  It is considered tougher than some other walking routes in the UK, due to the ascents and descents and the variable terrain underfoot.

When planning an itinerary, please remember that around 80% of walkers on the South West Coast Path opt to walk around 10-14 miles per day and the remaining 20% is split equally between those averaging under 10 miles per day and the experienced long distance walker/runner covering a maximum of 25 miles per day.

You can view the route profile of the South West Coast Path below on the handy walking app Komoot.

Part 1 – Minehead to Padstow
Part 2 – Padstow to The Lizard
Part 3 – The Lizard to Torcross
Part 4 – Torcross to South Haven Point, Poole

Hopefully, this will go some way in to answering the question.. “How hard is it to walk the South West Coast Path?”

Share: